WARM WEATHER IS ON THE WAY…
AND YOUR WATER PUMP HELPS KEEP THE COOLING SYSTEM WORKING AS IT SHOULD!
At the heart of a vehicle’s cooling system is the water pump. Water pumps have bearings and seals that wear out and fail… leading to cooling system breakdown that can put your vehicle on the side of the road. Keeping your cooling system clean and flushing it every year is an excellent way to keep your vehicles’ cooling systems at it’s best. However, failure to install a water pump properly can lead to leaks and premature cooling system breakdowns. The following tips will help you avoid these problems if you are tackling this job yourself or know what to look for if you are having a professional do it for you and give you a comfortable driving experience.
- When installing a new water pump, make sure the engine is clear of the old gasket material. A clean surface is essential for a tight, leak-free installation.
- Always use recommended gasket material.
- It is critical to use the recommended torque specification and sequence.
- When installing a water pump on a rear wheel drive vehicle, be wary of belt and fan imbalance. Too much imbalance places an excessive load on the water pump, which can cause premature failure. Look for excessive vibration and belt alignment when the engine is running.
- When refilling your cooling system, use only the coolant/antifreeze recommended by your vehicles manufacturer.